Monday, April 5, 2010

Zombies Need Braiiiiins

Read 4/4/10 - 4/4/10
4 Stars - Strongly recommended
Pgs:138

Oh my god was this hilarious! And disgusting! Many thanks to Ryan Mecum for making a copy available for me, even if it did show up months later (Gotta love the postal service, huh?).

Mecum does an amazing job telling the story of a man who awakens one morning to a world full of zombies looking for just one thing - human brains. Although, for the first part of the morning, he doesn't even realise what has been happening around him (Similar to the begining of the film "Shaun of the Dead" - great movie by the way!). The man then begins to chronicle his life, as he changes from human to zombie, in haiku form - poems with a 5-7-5 rhythm.

I actually read this out loud to my kids last nite. At times, I was laughing so hard I was forced to read the lines again so they could understand me. There were also moments where we were cringing and "Eeeewing" over the graphic parts.

Here's a taste of what you will find:

"I love my momma
I eat her with my mouth closed
how she would want it
"

"She's always with me
especially if my gut
can't digest toenails
"

"They are so lucky
that I cannot remember
how to use doorknobs
"

"Little old ladies
speed away in their wheelchairs
frightened meals on wheels
"

Mecum created a commericial/book trailer. Check it out:


Be sure to also check out Mecums Vampire Haiku, and my review of it here. I cannot wait for his next release, coming sometime this year - Werewolf Haiku!

No comments:

Post a Comment