Thursday, September 3, 2026

The 40 But 10: Ivan Carl

 


I've pulled together 40ish questions - some bookish, some silly - and have asked authors to limit themselves to answering only 10 of them. That way, it keeps the interviews fresh and connectable for all of us!


Today we are joined by Ivan Carl. Ivan is a traveler, engineer, and educator. The idea behind The Equation began decades ago in the Andes mountains and took shape over years of adventures with family and friends — and one question he couldn’t stop asking: what makes a life work? He still travels the world with his wife and kids, and the pursuit continues.






What made you start writing?

I had a message I really wanted to share with the world, and writing this book was the most fun, and I think the best, way to share it. I've always loved a great story, so weaving my message into a thriller felt like the natural way to reach as many people as possible.


What do you do when you’re not writing?

I'm outside as much as I possibly can be. I love hiking, skiing, surfing and playing tennis with my friends and family. If there's a mountain or a ocean nearby, that's usually where you'll find me.


What’s your kryptonite as a writer?

Self-doubt. When I start worrying about whether the writing is good enough, or whether I'm really connecting with the reader, that's when I struggle. Getting out of my own head is the hardest part of the work.


How do you celebrate when you finish writing a new book?

Well, this is my first book, so I only have one data point! I celebrated by taking my van up to the North Cascades for a solo overnight and a backcountry ski. It was the perfect way to mark the moment. The photo on my dust jacket is actually from that trip.


Describe your book in three words.

Thoughtful, entertaining, unfinished. (That last one is on purpose. The book is designed to leave you with a question, not an answer.)


Would you and your main character(s) get along?

For sure. I think I'd get along really well with Nathan, the protagonist. We'd have a lot to talk about. And honestly, I think I'd even get along with the antagonist, as long as we could openly debate the big questions in the book without letting that define the relationship. The best conversations are often the ones where you can politely disagree.


If you could spend the day with another author, who would you choose and why?

Paulo Coelho. I'd love to know whether he's as philosophical and interesting in person as he is on the page. I suspect a day with him would leave me thinking for months.


Do you read the reviews of your books or do you stay far far away from them, and why?

So far, I'm reading all of them. Whenever I can, I engage with the reviewer. I've had some genuinely fascinating conversations with readers after they finish the book. If anyone reading this wants to connect, you can always reach me through my website.


If you were stuck on a deserted island, what’s the one book you wish you had with you?

50 Philosophy Classics. It's a little obscure, but it's a beautifully condensed summary of the great philosophical works. My time on the island would be filled with deep thought and a lot of internal debate which, honestly, sounds like a pretty good island to me, especially if there was a surf break too!


If you could time travel, would you go back to the past or forward into the future?

Definitely the future. I'm endlessly curious about how humanity will overcome the challenges we face today. I'm an optimist. I believe we have a very bright future ahead, even now. My ideal journey would be to jump forward in fifty-year increments, just to watch the world evolve. I would also love to see how my book has been received!

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Releases Septmber 1st, 2026

Amazon      |     Audible 


Some truths are hidden. This one could change the world.

A murdered professor. Two words written in blood. And an equation that could change everything.

Nathan Brooks was a mathematician going through the motions — publishing papers, chasing tenure, measuring his life in productivity metrics — until his mentor was killed for a discovery he'd spent forty years protecting. Now Nathan has the key to the research, a former intelligence operative at his side, and a target on his back.

The equation is elegant. What it proves is explosive — and the organization that has spent two centuries burying it will do whatever it takes to make sure Nathan never shares it with the world.

What would you risk to know the truth?


No comments:

Post a Comment