I've pulled together 40ish questions - some bookish, some silly - and have asked authors to limit themselves to answering only 10 of them. That way, it keeps the interviews fresh and connectable for all of us!
Today we are joined by G. Signore. He is the author of The Cost No One Chose, Book I of The Open Debt, and the creator behind VARENIVA. His work focuses on speculative worlds built around rules, consequences, moral choice, and the human cost of systems that appear rational until reality stops behaving as expected.
What made you start writing?
It actually started as an experiment rather than a lifelong
ambition to become a writer. I wanted to see whether I could take a complex
idea, give it precise rules, build a coherent world around it, and turn it into
a story that could stand on its own.
At some point, the experiment changed. The characters, the
rules, and especially the consequences started creating questions I genuinely
wanted answered. I stopped wondering whether I could write the story and
started wanting to know where it would lead.
That became The Open Debt. So I can't really point to the
moment I decided to become a writer. I can point to the moment I decided this
story needed to exist.
Describe your book poorly.
People mess with reality. Reality sends the bill to the
wrong address.
Do you read the reviews of your books or do you stay far far
away from them, and why?
I read them. If someone has spent hours inside a world I
created and then taken the time to explain what worked or didn't work for them,
I want to know.
I don't think every criticism should automatically lead to a
change, because different readers can want completely different things from the
same story. But patterns matter. If several people independently react to the
same element, that's information worth paying attention to.
I tend to approach reviews the same way I approach most
things: not as a verdict, but as data. Sometimes uncomfortable data,
admittedly, but still useful.
If you met your characters in real life, what would you say
to them?
I'd probably start with an apology.
Not because I regret what happens to them, but because I
know exactly why it happens, and they don't. As the author, I'm responsible for
putting them in situations where every solution has a cost and even the right
choice can hurt someone else.
Then I'd probably avoid telling them what happens next. I
suspect some of them would have very strong opinions about me if they knew.
What's something that's true about you but no one believes?
Probably that I became an author without really being a
reader.
I've always had a complicated relationship with reading.
When I was younger, I mostly associated books with school and obligation, and
even later I struggled to stay engaged with them for very long.
Strangely, that became part of the reason I started writing.
I wanted to build a story that would keep giving me a reason to ask what
happens next. In a way, I ended up trying to create the kind of book I had
never managed to find for myself.
I realize that "I wrote a novel because I wasn't much
of a reader" sounds slightly backwards. But apparently that's how I got
here.
What's your kryptonite as a writer?
Knowing when to stop improving something.
I naturally tend to treat a story like a system: if I see
something that can be made more coherent, more precise, or better connected to
everything around it, I want to fix it. The problem is that there is almost
always something else you could improve.
At some point, refinement stops being progress and becomes
an excuse not to finish. Learning to recognize that line has probably been one
of the hardest parts of writing for me.
Sometimes the most difficult decision isn't what to change.
It's deciding that something is finished.
If you could time travel, would you go back to the past or
forward into the future?
Forward. Definitely.
The past is fascinating, but we already know at least part
of what happened. The future is the unanswered question.
I'd want to see which ideas survived, which problems we
solved, which new ones we created, and which things we were completely wrong
about. I'd probably be less interested in seeing flying cars than in
discovering what people fifty or a hundred years from now consider perfectly
normal.
Of course, knowing the future would immediately create
another problem: deciding whether I should change anything when I came back.
And given what I write about, I should probably know better
than to try.
What's on your literary bucket list?
I want to complete The Open Debt and see the story reach the
scale I originally imagined for it.
But my ambitions go beyond a single series. I'd like to
build different stories and worlds while continuing to develop the system
behind them, VARENIVA OS™, which grew out of the way I organize, test, revise,
and maintain consistency across a narrative project.
Ultimately, I'd like VARENIVA to become something capable of
producing more than one story or one saga without losing the structure and
identity behind them.
So my literary bucket list is probably less of a list and
more of a construction project. Apparently I'm incapable of choosing the
uncomplicated version of anything.
What's the one thing you wish you knew when you were
younger?
That not knowing exactly where you're going isn't
necessarily a problem.
I used to think you needed a clear destination before
starting something important. Over time, I've learned that some of the most
interesting things I've done began with curiosity rather than certainty.
The Open Debt is a good example. I didn't begin with a
lifelong plan to become an author or build a publishing project. I started by
testing an idea and following where it led.
I think I would tell my younger self to experiment more and
worry less about whether every experiment already has a practical destination.
Sometimes you discover the destination by building the road toward it.
Describe your book in three words.
Choice. Debt. Consequence.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Out now
Reality can be corrected, but every correction creates a
debt. And the person who pays may not be the one who made the choice.
When measurements, memory, and evidence begin to disagree, Teren is forced into a world where two answers can both be true and every attempt to restore order carries a human cost. The Cost No One Chose is an adult speculative fantasy / science fantasy novel built around a rule-driven world, mystery, moral choices, and the consequences of changing reality.

.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment