Thursday, April 6, 2023

The 40 But 10 Interview Series: Karen Havelin

 


I had,decided to retire the literary Would You Rather series, but didn't want to stop interviews on the site all together. Instead, I've pulled together 40ish questions - some bookish, some silly - and have asked authors to limit themselves to answering only 10 of them. That way, it keeps the interviews fresh and connectable for all of us!


Joining us today is Karen Havelin. Karen is a writer and translator from Bergen, Norway. She attended Skrivekunst-akademiet i Hordaland, and has a Bachelor’s degree in French, Literature, and Gender Studies from the University of Bergen and University of Paris Sorbonne. She completed her MFA in Fiction from Columbia University in May 2013. Her work has been published both in Norwegian and in English. Her first novel, Please Read This Leaflet Carefully was published simultaneously in the US, the UK and Norway in spring 2019, from Dottir Press, Dead Ink Books and Cappelen Damm.




What’s something that’s true about you but no one believes?

That my novel Please Read This Leaflet Carefully is fiction. LOL.


What’s the best money you’ve ever spent as a writer?

I spent a month in a place called Masseria Chicerro in Molise, Italy last fall, which was both peaceful and inspiring.


Describe your book in three words.

Funny pain story. Uplifting, I swear. Sexy, horrific, transcendent. (this one is from a blurb)


If you met your characters in real life, what would you say to them?

Give yourself a break. Seriously.


What are some of your favorite books and/or authors?

In formative years: Kurt Vonnegut, Toni Morrison, Alice Walker, Alice Hoffman, Francesca Lia Block, James Baldwin. Recently I’ve been very much enjoying Tamsyn Muir, Laini Taylor, Casey McQuiston.


You have to choose an animal or cartoon character that best represents you. Which is it and why?

A marten. Small, cute, secretive, vicious.


Do you think you’d live long in a zombie apocalypse?

I’d be the first to go. I can barely remain alive in a fully civilized society with socialized medicine. Though I can run pretty fast and I have cultivated a few resourceful individuals who love me fiercely. But the second week or so after I run out of certain medications, I’m literally a goner. 


What songs would be on the soundtrack of your life?

You can actually find a playlist here. http://www.largeheartedboy.com/blog/archive/2019/05/karen_havelins.html

Ths piece, which I wrote for Largehearted Boy about the playlist for Please Read This Leaflet Carefully is one my favorites ever.  It has some Morrissey, some Robyn, some Peaches, some Regina Spektor.


What’s the one thing you wish you knew when you were younger?

Go easier on yourself. You’re allowed to have fun and enjoy silly things. Also, spend money on proper skincare.


What are your bookish pet peeves?

Writers who use extremely dark and traumatic elements just as a spice or easy narrative device in their books. Books that seem to only want to tell me “How about this ennui, man.” Or “Hey, you guys, some really bad shit sometimes happens and people can be terrible.” If that’s the point of your book, that better be the best fucking work of art ever written, or I would rather not read it, thanks.

I don’t mean anyone who writes dark or sad stories. I mean people who use those elements frivolously, unnecessarily, or lightly.

Everyone must make and consume whatever art they want and art gives life meaning. But for me, as a general rule, I want the art I consume to make me happy to be alive for a second. I have plenty of imagination and experience of things going to shit and people giving in to their worst instincts and being absolute shits. Give me something on how things occasionally get better or sometimes now and then don’t go to hell. Or just give me something funny, sexy, entertaining or strange.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Karen Havelin’s Please Read This Leaflet Carefully is a life told in reverse and a subversion of what we expect from stories of illness. Having been diagnosed with endometriosis in her twenties, we follow Laura Fjellstad in her struggle to live a normal life across New York, Paris and Oslo, fueled by her belief that to survive her chronic illness she must be completely self-reliant.

 Flowing backwards from 2016 to 1995, we meet Laura’s younger selves: her healthier selves. Laura as a daughter, a figure skater, a lover, and a mother—finally leading a life her own teenage self would be in awe of.

 To be devoured intensely in one sitting, Please Read This Leaflet Carefully is a remarkable debut novel with bracing emotional insights and piercing descriptions of pain that linger in one’s mind long after the last page. It is also a beguiling meditation on relationships, motherhood, sexuality, pain and the limitations of our own bodies.

 

buy a copy

https://www.karenhavelin.com/ 


No comments:

Post a Comment