Monday, April 24, 2023

The 40 But 10 Interview Series: Claudia Meléndez Salinas

 


I had retired the literary Would You Rather interview series, but didn't want to stop interviews on the site all together. Instead, I've pulled together 40ish questions - some bookish, some silly - and have asked authors to limit themselves to answering only 10 of them. That way, it keeps the interviews fresh and connectable for all of us!

 

Joining me today is Claudia Meléndez Salinas. Claudia is an Indigenous Mexican Chicana born in Puebla, Mexico. Her writing has been published in La Jornada, Latina Magazine, and other publications in the United States and Mexico. In 2017 she co-founded Voices of Monterey Bay, www.vomb.org,  a bilingual internet magazine for California's central coast. Her poems have been published in Journal X, LatinoLiteratures, and her poem “Transitioning” was the recipient of the 2022 Red Wheelbarrow poetry award. Her first book, A Fighting Chance, was published by Arte Público Press in 2015. “A Fighting Chance” is a young adult novel that fictionalizes real events that took place in the mid 2000 in Salinas, Calif., when the city was struggling with funding and was trying to reduce services for youth.




Why do you write?

Two reasons: writing is like breathing for me, a biological necessity. I have to write at least a sentence a day in order to feel whole. It is how I achieve clarity and how I process feelings, ideas, how I resolve conflicts in my head. It’s like a daily emotional cleanse. 

I also write because I want to increase Latino representation in the written word. This country needs to have more writers who come from a Latina background, who see the world from our point of view and express their views about how the world works from our perspective. It’s a grain of sand on a vast shore, but it’s MY grain. 😀

 

If you met your characters in real life, what would you say to them? 

I’m very fond of Miguel Ángel, the main character in “A Fighting Chance.” I see him as I would a son, so everything I want to tell him, I do it through Ita, his ghost great-grandmother. She tells him not to be a knucklehead, not to get into fights, not to fall for a life on the streets. I’d tell him the exact same things, plus that he's loved and the universe will take care of him. 

 

Would you and your main character(s) get along? 

I would definitely get along with Ita. I would love to listen to her stories about the Mexican Revolution. My younger self would have loved to share a cigarette with her, but I don’t smoke anymore. 

 

If you could cast your characters in a movie, which actors would play them and why? 

Gael García Bernal is getting a bit old to play Miguel Ángel, but he would have been definitely a good one when he was 17. When I wrote “A Fighting Chance,” Miguel Ángel looked like Gael in my head. Or Tenoch Huerta. Maybe Michael Cimino or Marcel Ruiz. He has to be a young, athletic actor, since Miguel Ángel is a boxer.  For Britney, Anya Taylor-Joy or Millie Bobby Brown, they’re both good looking girls, just like I imagine Britney to be.  

 

If you could spend the day with another author, who would you choose and why? 

Trevor Noah. His book “Born a Crime” is brilliant, and his shows are great. He strikes me as the type of person who just makes witty commentaries about life and how the world works at the drop of a hat, so spending the day with him would be an education. 

 

What are some of your favorite books and/or authors? 

Louise Penny and all the books in the Inspector Gamache series are great. Milan Kundera’s “The Unbearable Lightness of Being” is a masterpiece. Tlacaelel: The Aztec among Aztecs by Antonio Velazco Piña changed my life. I also love Elena Poniatowska. So many books, so little time!

 

What is your favorite book from childhood? 

“The Sword in the Stone”, the Disney version. I had my mom buy that from me when I was like 4, and had her read it to me over and over and over. Then I learned to read and read it like a million times. I loved Merlin and his power to transform Arthur into a fish and a squirrel. Archimedes is a great character as well. That book really inspired me to become a lifelong book lover. 

 

What are you currently reading? 

Just finished reading Tenoch Huerta’s “Brown Pride” and “Poet Warrior: a Memoir” by Joy Harjo. I have a stack of six books to choose the next one from that include “On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous” by Ocean Voung and Viola Davis’ “Finding Me.” I’ll choose before going to be tonight. Lol. 

 

Are you a book hoarder or a book unhauler? 

Definitely a hoarder. When it comes time to make room for more books, I just put them in boxes in storage instead of giving them away. I just fall in love with them and I can’t let them go. 

 

What’s the single best line you’ve ever read? 

“Ahab was neither my first husband nor my last.” It’s the first line of “Ahab's Wife, or The Star-Gazer” by  Sena Jeter Naslund. That line has haunted me for years, it packs so much in it. It’s perfect. The entire book is great. 

 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





Seventeen-year-old Miguel Angel spends every minute after school at the Packing Shed, working out with the Alisal Boxing Club. He dreams of becoming a champion so he can get his mother and five siblings out of their cramped one-bedroom apartment in one of Salinas’ poorest barrios.                                                                

But suddenly his life gets more complicated. The city is threatening to take the Packing Shed away from Coach, and without a place to train he won’t be able to avoid the gangbangers in his neighborhood. His childhood friend, Beto, has succumbed to the wiles of easy money and expensive cars, and Miguel Angel wonders if he’ll be able to resist. Meanwhile, beautiful blonde Britney from Pebble Beach has entered his life, and Miguel Angel has never felt this way before. She too feels an overwhelming attraction, and she’s willing to defy her hard-nosed father, who expects her to date someone from their social background of exclusive country clubs and Ivy League schools.           

When Beto turns to him for help, Miguel Angel is torn between his commitment to friends and Coach’s warnings about gang life. With gang violence getting closer and closer, he and Britney are suddenly faced with the consequences of unprotected sex. Can their love for each other survive all of the problems swirling around them?                    

In A Fighting Chance, journalist Claudia Meléndez Salinas has crafted a vivid novel for young adults that captures the challenges of contemporary urban life in one of the Latino community’s poorest barrios.       


Buy a copy here: 

No comments:

Post a Comment