Monday, January 22, 2024

the 40 but 10 Interview Series: Kerry Langan




I had decided to retire the literary Would You Rather series, but didn't want to stop interviews on the site all together. Instead, I've pulled together 40ish questions - some bookish, some silly - and have asked authors to limit themselves to answering only 10 of them. That way, it keeps the interviews fresh and connectable for all of us!



Say hi to Kerry Langan. Kerry has published three collections of short stories, My Name Is Your Name & Other Stories, the most recent. Her fiction has appeared in more than 50 literary magazines published in North America, the U.K. and Asia, including The Saturday Evening Post, Persimmon Tree, StoryQuarterly, West Branch, Cimarron ReviewOther VoicesThe Seattle ReviewLiterary MamaRosebud, The Blue Mountain Review, The Fictional CafĂ©, JMWWReflex Fiction, Fictive Dream, Capsule Stories, and others. Her stories have been anthologized in XX Eccentric: Stories About the Eccentricities of Women and in Solace in So Many Words. She was a recently featured author on the podcast, Short Story Today. Her work has been nominated for Best Small Fictions 2023. Her nonfiction has appeared in Working Mother and Shifting Balance Sheets: Women’s Stories of Naturalized Citizenship & Cultural Attachment.




Why do you write?

 

I recently described my writing to someone as “an addiction”. Being seated at my computer several hours a day is a must rather than a choice. I don’t know how not to write, and I’m happy about that, very happy.

 

What do you do when you’re not writing?

 

I’m an editor and spend time reading and editing other authors’ works. Reading is like breathing to me. There’s always a stack of books, mostly fiction, and literary journals on my desk and nightstand. I love films, seeing narrative on a screen, and listening to many genres of music. Music motivates me to get up from my desk and take exercise breaks throughout the day. I live near a beautiful arboretum and walk there when done with writing for the day. Nothing beats the time I spend with family and friends and, since the start of the pandemic, I don’t take a moment of it for granted.

 

What’s your kryptonite as a writer?

 

Child narrators. As a reader I love them, and I have written many stories with young protagonists. Most children have no guile; they experience the world purely, honestly. As such, they’re very reliable narrators though they’re often unaware when the adults in their world are being dishonest. Readers are sometimes aware of things the child narrator is not, and that makes for a very interesting reading experience.

 

If you could have a superpower, what would it be?

 

Flight, definitely flight. I love aerial views of landscapes, and how enthralling would it be to soar over them? Although my fiction tends to deal with micro situations, something intense going on between a few characters, I appreciate the macro view some writers have, epic fictions that require a bird’s-eye-view.

 

Describe your book in three words:

 

Fiction, females, aging.

 

If you could cast your characters in a movie, which actresses would play them?

 

This is an interesting question because My Name Is Your Name is a collection of stories that begins with a very young girl and concludes with an elderly woman. The interim stories are sequenced with gradually aging female characters, so a cast would include a wide range of actresses. I’d have to rely on the advice of casting agents for the youngest characters, budding actresses, but I’d have such fun considering favorite actresses to star in the other stories.  Possibilities would include Jenna Marie Ortega, Mckenna Grace, Julia Garner, Samira Wiley, Hailee Steinfeld, Rooney Mara, Kate Winslet, Cate Blanchett, Elisabeth Moss, Sandra Oh, Viola Davis and Helen Mirren.   

 

Would you and your main characters get along?  

 

Yes, I believe so. Those in my last book are my literary daughters, sisters and mothers. I admire each of them in various ways, even those making errors, perhaps especially those making errors. I feel the same about the male and female characters in my first two books.

 

What is your favorite book from childhood?

 

When I was eleven, I read Betty Smith’s coming of age novel, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, and would go on to read it so often the spine of the book cracked. Her protagonist, Francie Nolan, is a young girl when we first meet her and a young woman when we say good-bye to her. She is a first-generation American navigating an impoverished childhood with the help of the neighborhood library and a determination to get the best education she can. It’s not surprising that a girl who so loved this book grew up to become an academic librarian and a writer. I was delighted when one of my daughters read the novel and responded to it as strongly as I had.

 

What genres won’t you read?

 

While I largely read literary fiction, especially short stories, I’m open to reading almost anything but I steer clear of romance. Just not my cup of tea, but it’s certainly a genre that draws many.  

 

What’s on your literary bucket list?

 

I’m a fan of so many writers of short stories, I almost don’t want to single any one author out, but during high school, I discovered John Updike’s early stories and read them, along with his later fiction, over decades. I’ve long considered visiting his birthplace, Shillington, Pennsylvania, and walking the streets and driving through the surrounding countryside. I’ll do it one of these days.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 

Kerry Langan's warm and generous third short story collection, My Name Is Your Name, includes stories of women at all ages—from little girls to old women whose long lives are now only fleeting memories. A six-year old girl wanders an amusement park alone; a teenager tries to balance the loyalty and shame she feels toward her schizophrenic sister; a young woman stubbornly makes a home for herself in an insular fishing village for reasons that elude her and those around her; a newlywed touring houses with her husband doesn't see an exciting future, rather unsettling glimpses of her own mortality. Finding unsuspected reservoirs of strength and purpose, girls and women negotiate young love, their first jobs, single motherhood, the death of friends, infidelity, the illness of spouses, the indignities, anguishes, and gifts of age and aging in ways that are sharp, funny, poignant, and often quirky. Langan draws us into a world in which the very young blunder but also face truths that sometimes elude adults and the middle-aged and elderly turn to their younger selves to guide them in an ambiguous, challenging present. We come away encouraged and replenished—more ready to face many of the same issues ourselves.

"Once again, short story writer Kerry Langan knocks it out of the park. Her newest collection is a kaleidoscope of beautifully rendered stories illuminating, with tremendous verisimilitude, great insight, and lyrical and precise prose, the complex nature of the female heart and mind. Janice Eidus, author of The Last Jewish Virgin and The War of the Rosens

"Kerry Langan’s collection offers a lovely new literary voice and a quiet, sharp, perceptive mind. These stories are intimate, surprising and graceful, a pleasure to read."  Roxana Robinson, author of Sparta, Cost, and A Perfect Stranger & Other Stories

"Kerry Langan's My Name is Your Name, an impressive and readable collection, is a sort of primer on the ages of women. Her female protagonists take on issues and problems that are familiar to us, struggling with identity, finding autonomy, dealing with and fighting against expectations in a wonderfully detailed world, where desire and choice are fraught with consequence. This suspension between the ordinary and the arrival of the unexpected permeates the collection, highlighting the darkness behind the bright scrim of daily life." Mary Grimm, author of Left to Themselves and Stealing Time



Buy a copy here: 

https://www.amazon.com/My-Name-Your-Other-Stories/dp/0982693370/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1O0IVUBX3WPB3&keywords=kerry+langan&qid=1674266051&sprefix=Kerry+langan%2Caps%2C137&sr=8-1


No comments:

Post a Comment