Monday, November 13, 2023

The 40 But 10 Interview series: Patricia Bossano

 


I had decided to retire the literary Would You Rather series, but didn't want to stop interviews on the site all together. Instead, I've pulled together 40ish questions - some bookish, some silly - and have asked authors to limit themselves to answering only 10 of them. That way, it keeps the interviews fresh and connectable for all of us!


Joining us today is Patricia Bossano. She is an award-winning author of philosophical fiction and supernatural escapes, some of them en español. She lives, and writes, in California with her family.





What made you start writing?

Since elementary school I loved scribbling in notebooks, sometimes journal-like entries, and sometimes actual stories, but not until my early 20s did I become obsessed with the idea of writing to publish a book. It took me until my 40s to make that happen.

 

If you could have a superpower, what would it be?

The power to stop procrastination in its tracks, for sure!

 

What’s the best money you’ve ever spent as a writer?

Money spent on editing services is always the best investment.

 

Would you and your main character(s) get along?

We most definitely do! Love & Homegrown Magic (thank you for featuring this book!) is my fifth published novel; an ancestral cleanse covering 7 decades in the life of a folk-magic practitioner. It is based on 3 factual events in my mother’s life, she is the head of a sisterhood that includes my two sisters and me.

 

Describe your book in three words.

Sisterhood – Moonlight – Roses.

 

Do you read the reviews of your books, or do you stay far far away from them, and why?

Reviews for my books are not in the hundreds so I’m always tempted to check them out. What I have gathered from reading them is that my writing is not for everyone—sometimes I get 2-star reviews for the same reason others give me 5 stars. Clearly, my goal as an indie author is to cultivate the audience that loves my work, and just keep writing for them 😊

 

What are some of your favorite books and/or authors?

My love of books and my writing have been influenced by (in order of appearance in my life) Henri Chariére, Alexandre Dumas, Gabriel García Márquez, Anne Rice, Stephen King, Jane Austen, J.K. Rowling, Isabel Allende, Stieg Larsson, and others.

 

What genres won’t you read?

Might be the wrong thing to say, because I write young adult fiction/fantasy for fans of the supernatural, but I tend to stay away from YA—I don’t want to be swayed by other voices in the genre I write.

 

Are you a toilet paper over or under kind of person?

Love this question, lol, and I’m answering it because it’s a pet peeve of mine. There totally is a right and wrong here, and *under* people are sooo wrong! It is always, OVER.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


From the ashes of burned letters comes a celestial romp, spanning seven decades and two continents.

Love is the guiding force, even when Maggie, ever the planner, chooses her mind over her heart. Family comes first and she has always known her purpose is to be a guiding light to her siblings and, one day, her children. But a dash of destiny, and two loves blessed by the stars tug at Maggie’s heartstrings in a way she could never have planned for.

Wander into her magical garden, where thorns and perfumed blossoms coexist, through Love and her Homegrown Magic.

 

Quote:

“She thought of the rose cuttings on the kitchen windowsill. They didn’t look like much—four bags of dirt with a dried up twig sticking out of each one—but Maggie could see what they would become; soon they would produce leaf shoots, meaning the roots had taken hold, and for a blinding moment the symbolic vision took her breath away.

Her life, at present, didn’t look like much either, but Maggie knew in her heart that it would bloom, beyond her wildest expectations.” –From Love & Homegrown Magic


For a signed copy of “Love & Homegrown Magic” go to: https://waterbearerpress.com/collections/frontpage/products/love-homegrown-magic

During checkout, don’t forget to let the author know to whom she should dedicate the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment