Monday, July 24, 2023

The 40 But 10 Interview Series: Leanne Radojkovich

 


 I had decided to retire the literary Would You Rather series, but didn't want to stop interviews on the site all together. Instead, I've pulled together 40ish questions - some bookish, some silly - and have asked authors to limit themselves to answering only 10 of them. That way, it keeps the interviews fresh and connectable for all of us!


Today we are joined by Leanne Radojkovich. Leanne is the author of short story collections Hailman and First Fox published by The Emma Press. She has been a finalist for the Anton Chekhov Prize for Very Short Fiction, longlisted for the Short Fiction/University of Essex Prize and shortlisted for the Sargeson Prize. Leanne has a master's degree in creative writing from AUT Auckland University of Technology. She has Dalmatian heritage and was born in Aotearoa New Zealand, where she works as a librarian. @linedealer





Why do you write?

I like growing things from words. I also like gardening, I find there’s a lot of crossover between gardening and storying – you never know if a seed or a sentence will take, or how it will grow.

 

What made you start writing?

I always felt happiest reading stories and poems; and one day it occurred to me that I could try making some, too.

 

What’s the best money you’ve ever spent as a writer?

Buying exercise books and coloured pens – I doodle and write at the same time, it helps me to focus, and sometimes the doodles turn into words.

 

Do you DNF books?

I read a book’s last page first. I like to know the ending before I start reading towards it. This helps reduce anxiety and means I can concentrate more deeply on how the story unfolds.

 

If you could spend the day with another author, who would you choose and why?

I would spend the day with Lucia Berlin, just to be in her company, not to ask for anything more than she has already given – stories as immersive as jumping into the sea; rips and tides, wildness, calm.

 

What are some of your favorite books and/or authors?

If I had to live with only one book it would be Derek Jarman’s Modern Nature, which I’ve read so often it feels like a companion and also a guide. It’s an hypnotic meditation on Jarman’s life, his art and politics, his celebration of gayness, and his diary of the garden he grew at his home in Dungeness – a shingle beach and England’s only desert – after discovering he was HIV positive.

 

What is your favorite book from childhood?

A Child’s Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson. How musical the language was when I read it aloud; and how magical these stories made from ordinary things were – your shadow, your bedspread. It helped me understand the importance of imagination to generate wonder, and populate loneliness.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Hailman is a collection of short stories by Leanne Radojkovich.

“All the rest home doors have name tags. Mum’s has a typo: Irina. Although Irena isn’t her born name – only she knows what that is, and she’s never told, never discussed the war. Says she was born the day she reached Wellington harbour with papers stating she was a ten-year-old Polish orphan. Dad said not to ask about the European years, and my brother and I never did. Now they’ve both died and there’s just me and Mum, and she’s in a rest home with a mis-spelled name on her door.”

 

 


buy a copy here: 

https://theemmapress.com/shop/prose/short-stories/hailman/

 



No comments:

Post a Comment