Friday, June 24, 2011

Indie Book Buzz: Atticus Books

Indie Book Buzz is a new feature here at TNBBC. Over the next couple of weeks, we will be inviting members of the indie publishing houses to share which of their Summer and Fall 2011 releases they are most excited about!



This weeks picks come from Libby, Assistant Editor at Atticus Books.


Summer 2011


The Great Lenore by JM Tohline
(June 15)

When “everyone-who-meets-me-falls-in-love-with-me” Lenore is mistakenly pronounced dead, she’s given the chance to discover how her cheating husband and his absurdly wealthy, preppy and dysfunctional family will react-and to decide whether her far less than perfect marriage was a mistake worth taking back. Beautiful and elegant in a pull-at-your-heartstrings kind of way, The Great Lenore makes you glad, for once, that you’re not in a villa on Nantucket—but is my first pick for a day on the beach.



The Snow Whale by John Minichillo '
(July 30)

A brilliant, ironic and totally unique take on the more famous but less fun to read (in one editor’s estimation) Moby Dick. A DNA test reveals that desk doodle salesman and suburban white guy John Jacobs is part-Inuit, sparking his determination to forsake his wife and white picket fence to join “his people” in Alaska in their sacred whale hunt—aside from telling a page-turning story, Minichillo raises some intriguing questions about American homogeneity and our obsession with race.



About Libby:

Libby Kuzma is Assistant Editor at Atticus Books (atticusbooksonline.com) and the Managing Editor of their weekly online journal, Atticus Review (atticusreview.org). When it comes to books, her favorites usually end up being somewhere in the classic literature canon, with Dickens as her favorite author of all time but To the Lighthouse (Woolf) as her current number one.


So what do you think guys? See anything that catches your eye? Aren't those covers to die for? Which of these books are you most excited to see release? Help TNBBC and Atticus Books spread the buzz about these books by sharing this post with others!

3 comments:

  1. THE GREAT LENORE is AWESOME and very reminiscent of Victorian literature with modern twists. I can't wait to read THE SNOW WHALE too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I RARELY buy books without having read them first, because books I buy are books I enjoy so much I'm going to reread. I usually check them out from the library first. BUT I absolutely love the concept of THE GREAT LENORE, so I've just bought a kindle copy and will begin reading it as my bedtime story tonight. Thanks for tuning me into this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very exciting Susanne! I hope you come back to let us know what you think once you start reading it!!

    ReplyDelete