Tuesday, March 9, 2010

"To Be Read" Tuesday

"To Be Read" Tuesdays is really just my way of sneaking a peek at your night-stand, coffee-table, book-shelf... where ever it is that you stack your piles of newly purchased unread books! And of course, returning the favor by allowing you a peek at mine...

I went shopping at Borders today, for the first time in a very long time, armed with a list of books I desperately wanted and the giftcard my brother and his fiancee gave me for my birthday.

Borders used to be like a little corner of heaven for me. Browsing the shelves used to make me giddy. Thumbing the book spines used to make my heart sing. But as I've grown and matured as a reader, the more I wander the shelves there, the more depressed I become. The books I want now are not normally stocked on their shelves.

The good news is that I did manage to find 4 new shiny novels to bring home during this trip. Take a peek:

Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood
I have heard so much about this novel that I just could not pass by it any longer. Not to mention the fact that Atwood released it's follow up "The Year of the Flood" this year. Being a fan of apocalyptic fiction, I am excited to finally own it. Now to figure out when to read it!!


Crooked Little Vein - Warren Ellis
I first saw this book on a Goodreads members book shelf, and thought the storyline was something I would enjoy reading. It's gotten very mixed reviews, which is always a hook for me. I can't wait to see which side of the fence I will be on.


If On A Winter's Night A Traveler - Italo Calvino
This one was added to my pile because many of my Goodreads Friends have read it, and THEY give it mixed reviews, which is an EVEN BIGGER HOOK for me!! I have not read any books written in second-person before, so this should make for an interesting read if for no other reason.


The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Victor Hugo
One of those timeless classics that should be on everyone bookshelf. The setting, the story... I have always meant to pick it up and read it, but couldnt justify spending the money on it when I had so many other books to buy. And it's one of those novels that is never at a booksale.

Post what's new on YOUR to be read pile and link me back to it by leaving a comment here.

No comments:

Post a Comment