Sunday, March 7, 2010

Does Font Matter?

Well, according to this video - Type Matters"> - found on Penguin.com, it most certainly does!

I don't think I have ever really paid attention to the font choice of the books I read. While I have never turned a book away based solely on font, I am aware that some type fonts are generally easier on the eye than others.

Watching the video (linked above) gave me a better understanding of the publishing process. The Typographers make each text sound alive, don't they? Some are snobby and stuck up, some are playful and fun, they can even be sexy and alluring.

I was surprised that I recognized many of the fonts they discussed. This, of course, will lead to a new book obsession for me - how the font fits the novel it was chosen for.

Do you have a favorite font to read? to write in? Post a comment and let me know.

By the way, this makes me yearn something awful for a job in publishing...

No comments:

Post a Comment