Sunday, January 1, 2012

Tell Me A Story: Nate Slawson



Welcome to another addition of TNBBC's Tell Me A Story. 

Tell Me a Story is a monthly series that features previously unpublished short stories from debut and Indie authors. The request was simple: Stories can be any format, any genre, and any length. And many amazing writers signed up for the challenge.




Words cannot explain how thrilled I am to present you with 2012's first Tell Me a Story submission. 

To kick off the new year, Nate Slawson is sharing a poem from his upcoming sequel to Panic Attack, USA (which was published by YesYes Books). He has also authored two chapbooks, A Mixtape Called Zooey Deschanel (Line4) and The Tiny Jukebox (H_NGM_N Books). He lives in Chicago where he teaches and designs books. 




it’s fall and the atoms are smashing again

I walk into the wall because you are in another
room     Little house where my head ruptured
O little house you taste aluminum     It’s fall and
the atoms are smashing again     I feel you longhand
in my brain vessels     I keep running out of scissors
and I want to cut my life in half
I want to cut America’s hair     O I am a lawn mower
on fire     Wrap a copper wire around my neck
and call me Mr Microphone     Sing me
our new loneliness     I compose battle hymns

inside my head     They are my head
Colors are falling things     I am a falling thing
My vertigo is blackberry my blackberry
is a bloodbath     my blackberry is where the love
comes from     O little house I am becoming-
bathroom-floor     I live on my face     I wake up
hardwood-tongued and I am crying crying into
the lapel of my blue funeral suit. 



I want to thank Nate for participating in TNBBC's Tell Me a Story. If you like what you've read, please support Nate by checking out his book and website. Help spread the word by sharing this post through your blog, tumblr page, twitter and facebook accounts. Every link counts! And be sure to check back with us next month for the next installment....

If you are interested in submitting your short story for consideration for this series, please contact me mescorn@ptd.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment