Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tell Me A Story - Joshua Mohr

Welcome to TNBBC's brand new blog feature!

Tell Me a Story is a monthly series that will feature previously unpublished short stories from debut and Indie authors. The request was simple: Stories can be any format, any genre, and any length. And many amazing writers signed up for the challenge.

Our debut short story was written by Joshua Mohr. Joshua is the author of the incredibly twisted Termite Parade - a "next best book" 5 star read - and Some Things That Meant the World to Me. He will be releasing his third book "Damascus" with Two Dollar Radio this October. An adorable insomniac who find his inspiration between the hours of midnight and 5 a.m., Joshua has been wonderfully supportive of TNBBC these past few months, and I am truly honored to present to you his original, previously unpublished story:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
family

I ask myself questions. I do this thing where I go to payphones and leave messages on my answering machine. I call my apartment and ask obscure questions, questions that I know the answers to because I’ve taken the time to find things out. I call myself and say, “What’s a hexahydrate? What are teals? What’s a taurocholic acid?” and then when I go home, returning from another ruined day, there will be a pinprick of joy as I open the door and leave the lights off and press play on the answering machine and hear the sad timbre of my voice, testing me, and I’ll stand there in the dark and say, “It’s a chemical compound with six molecules of water. They’re small, short-necked dabblers from the genus Anas. It’s a deliquescent acid found in the bile of certain carnivores.”

Between these questions, though, I have to entertain myself. I’ve been watching eighteen, nineteen hours of TV a day, which it turns out is a good thing because it’s where I see it: where I see baseball players celebrating, pouring champagne over one another’s heads, guzzling the stuff, spanking the asses of every teammate within an arm’s length. I’m no baseball fan, didn’t even know the World Series was happening right now. I mean, how am I supposed to worship millionaires with low IQs who adjust their cocks and spit brown piles of tobacco in the grass that look like smashed tarantulas?

But right now I’m in awe of their ecstasy. Their huge smiles. The way they speak in tongues. The whirling way they move through the locker room, hugging and frolicking and howling, “We won. World champs, baby!” There is no other emotion in that room besides joy: the aching problems that exist in these men’s lives are temporarily asphyxiated—the drug addictions and infidelities and steroids and depression and the nights they beat their wives while wearing championship rings—the celebration silences these realities.

I need a celebration more than these arrogant millionaires. They never worry about finding the money to make child support payments. They don’t know what it’s like to miss your wife and daughter so much that you call them every night, but your wife doesn’t want to take your calls and tells you not to call and says stop calling. She says she needs to go on, and if you loved her, you’d help. You’d help by letting go. You’d help by getting help for your problem. You say, “Can I talk to her?” and she says, “No,” and you say, “Why?” and she says, “You know why!”

So I hop in the car and drive to Safeway, and while I’m in transit, I tune in the post-game radio coverage from the World Series. A man is being presented with an award. He’s the Most Valuable Player. He says, “These guys are my family. What can you do without your family?” and his grace makes me cry, his grace makes me angry, and I park the car, it’s about ten at night, the store still has customers, mostly bachelors, buying razors and toilet paper and pasta, no vegetables in any of their sad baskets, and I walk toward the wine aisle, and there’s an employee stocking merlot, and I say, “I’m going to need a case of champagne.”

We talk about prices, quality. He keeps staring at my eyes, and I wipe them, but he keeps staring, and I look away, but every time I look back he’s still staring so I say, “What?” and he asks, “Are you crying?” and I say, “Whales cry. Do you have a problem with whales?”
He says he needs to get the case of champagne from the storeroom.

I stand there, and even though I’m not on a payphone, I pretend to call myself. I whisper, “What’s a hegari?” and let another bachelor walk by while he ogles the varieties of domestic beer. Then I say, “It’s a Sudanese grain sorghum.” The employee is back with my champagne and I thank him and walk away, need to check-out, and there’s a young girl behind the counter. She looks at me and frowns. I swipe my credit card and wonder when I’ll reach my limit. But I’m okay tonight.

Drive home and carry the case of champagne in my house and I’ve stopped crying, and I turn off all the lights, but leave the TV on, the baseball players are done with their soiree, probably showering, shaving, gelling their hair, sporting platinum jewelry and suits made from Italian silk, before they begin new celebrations with their wives and daughters. The television station replays the highlights from the game, and every time the Most Valuable Player is on the screen I remember his words: “What can you do without your family?”

Now I’m sitting naked on the couch. Now I shake the first bottle of bubbly, jostle it with all my might and fear and regret, and I launch its cork across the room, watch French foam ooze from of the tip. I empty the first bottle on my head, saying, “World champs, baby! We won! We won!” and I empty the next and scream, “What can you do without your family?” and empty another and whisper, “What can you do without your family?” and I won’t stop until I’ve drained every last one of them. (c) Joshua Mohr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I want to thank Joshua for participating in TNBBC's Tell Me a Story. If you like what you've read, please support Joshua by checking out his website and books. Help spread the word by sharing this post through your blog, tumblr page, twitter and facebook accounts. Every link counts! And be sure to check back with us next month for the next installment....


7 comments:

  1. What an excellent idea! I'm so excited to follow these posts! Awesome Lori!

    I will be back later today to actually read the story, but I was so excited to see your secret, I checked, even though I don't really have time to read anything. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to hear you were excited to check it out! I can't tell you how grateful I am that authors like the wonderful Joshua Mohr agreed to be a part of it! I would love to hear your thoughts on the story when you come back to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. A full serving of crazy with the tease of a broken family, and irreverence towards professional sports! Joshua Mohr keep writing for us! Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! I can't wait to read all the stories the authors came up with. Lori, do you mind if I put links to all these stories in my linky for "Short Reviews for Short Stories"? I'm trying to use it as a way to inform people of free stories on the net as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely Erika! I think linking to the short stories is a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Do you have a problem with Whales?" love that line- great dialogue, even with yourself, how DO writers do that, that's a secret I'd love to learn. Wonderful story, thanks for it.

    ReplyDelete