Monday, September 9, 2024

The 40 But 10: Lori D'Angelo


I had decided to retire the literary Would You Rather series, but didn't want to stop interviews on the site all together. Instead, I've pulled together 40ish questions - some bookish, some silly - and have asked authors to limit themselves to answering only 10 of them. That way, it keeps the interviews fresh and connectable for all of us!


Today we are joined by Lori D'Angelo. Lori is a grant recipient from the Elizabeth George Foundation, a fellow at the Hambidge Center for Creative Arts, and an alumna of the Community of Writers. She holds an MA from Pittsburgh Theological Seminary and an MFA from West Virginia University. Her work has appeared in various literary journals including BULL, Drunken Boat, Gargoyle, Moon City Review, Reed Magazine, and Rejection Letters.





Why do you write?

I write because I can’t not write. I have things I want to say, and writing is the way I make sense of the world. I think that writing helps me process reality and try to deal with the way the world is versus the way I think it should be.

 

If you could have a superpower, what would it be?

Maybe the ability to time travel or fly. Flying would actually be really cool because you could avoid the hassle of commuter traffic, which is the bane of my existence some days. Time travel is just something I’ve really interested in, that and the multiverse. I’ve read and thought a lot about those topics. I think it’s interesting to think about not only what is but what could have been.

 

Describe your book in three words.

Monsters. Love. Hope.

 

What are you currently reading?

Shelved Under Murder by Victoria Gilbert, Before We Say Goodbye by Toshikazu Kawaguchi, and Chaos by Patricia Cornwell.

 

What genres won’t you read? 

I’ll read pretty much anything, but I have struggled to get into graphic novels. I think I just prefer to create the pictures in my head versus having someone else create them for me. Plus, these can be difficult to read electronically, and I do tend to read a lot of books online in the Libby app.

 

If you were stuck on a deserted island, what’s the one book you wish you had with you?

Pride and Prejudice. No matter how many times I read that book, I continue to be delighted and surprised by it. Even though I know what’s going to happen, each time I read it, I still feel the tension, the conflict, and the joy as if I don’t know what’s going to happen. It’s just such a masterful novel.

 

You have to choose an animal or cartoon character that best represents you. Which is it and why? 

I love cats. When I was a kid, I used to love the cartoon character Garfield. I think I probably like Garfield because he likes sitting around, eating lasagna, and making wisecracks. As a writer, I definitely enjoy using humor to make sense of the world.

 

What would you do if you could live forever? 

It would be cool to travel and see the whole planet. I don’t know if that’s more something you could do if you could live forever or something you could do if you had unlimited time and resources. If you could live forever, it would definitely give you the resource of time, and having all the time would hopefully give you the ability to access other resources as well such as the money you would need to see the world.

 

What songs would be on the soundtrack of your life? 

“If We Were Vampires” by Jason Isbell, “March, March” by the Chicks, “Said I Loved You . . .But I Lied” by Michael Bolton, “I’m in a Hurry (And Don’t Know Why” by Alabama, “Shallow” by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, and “I Won’t Back Down” by Tom Petty. These are some of the songs.

 

Are you a book hoarder or a book unhauler? 

I am definitely a hoarder. I like keeping books that I love for a very long time. I feel like books that I love become part of me, and I don’t want to let them go. Occasionally, when I move or I just have an overwhelming amount of them, I do let them go, but I prefer to keep them. I feel like the books you treasure become a part of you. 



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




The Monsters Are Here – ELJ Editions (elj-editions.com)

Releases on Halloween!


You’d better strap in because Lori D’Angelo is taking you places. A little bit of Kelly Link, a little Kathy Fish, D’Angelo is most of all herself, bringing us the most imaginative collection of fiction I have had the pleasure of reading in a long time. The Monsters Are Here heralds a new voice in contemporary fiction—I can’t wait to see what Lori D’Angelo does next.

 

--Stephanie Vanderslice, author of The Lost Son and The Geek’s Guide to the Writing Life

 

Monsters are here. So are vampires, mermaids, murderers, werewolves, fortunetellers, and dozens of less outlandish but no less remarkable characters. Lori D’Angelo’s debut collection is as entertaining as it is unpredictable. Each story is a ride into the strange and stunning. Read this book, and you’ll be dazed, dazzled, and delighted.

 

—Mark Brazaitis, author of American Seasons and The Incurables

 

The monsters are here, and what a glorious invasion it is! Whether it’s an uptight vampire accountant stretching her fangs or a werewolf realizing she loves her dad-boded buddy, the characters in Lori D’Angelo’s debut story collection are wonderfully human. These, smart, often hilarious tales haunted me in the best possible way. 

 

—Shari Goldhagen, author of In Some Other World, Maybe

 


What an exciting debut for Lori D’Angelo with her collection, The Monsters Are Here. Each of these stories introduces a new spectacle of innovation and heart, of humor and horror. D’Angelo’s characters occupy worlds where the impossible overlaps the real and sincerity is bordered by absurdity. I loved reading these stories, eating them up one after another, so engrossed by these narratives, this writer’s vision.


—Michael Czyzniejewski, author of The Amnesiac in the Maze: Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment