Monday, March 25, 2024

The 40 But 10 Interview Series: Craig Rodgers

 


In 2023, I decided to retire the literary Would You Rather series, but didn't want to stop interviews on the site all together. Instead, I've pulled together 40ish questions - some bookish, some silly - and have asked authors to limit themselves to answering only 10 of them. That way, it keeps the interviews fresh and connectable for all of us!



Craig Rodgers is the name appearing on several books ghostwritten by a gaggle of long dead Victorian spirits.







Describe your book poorly.

The mountain is on fire and everybody's having a different adventure.


If you could cast your characters in a movie, which actors would play them and why?

They'd be played by whoever the Coen brothers think fit the characters best.


If you could spend the day with another author, who would you choose and why?

Raymond Chandler. I'd ask him a ton of questions so I'll know what I'm doing if I ever try writing a Philip Marlowe novel.


What are some of your favorite books and/or authors?

The Sundial by Shirley Jackson is an easy favorite. Anything by Cormac McCarthy. Anything by Robert Aickman. You know what's good? Black Wings Has My Angel by Elliott Chaze. It looks like a basic pulp noir, but it's not. It's an odd book.


What are you currently reading?

I'm running through F Scott Fitzgerald's books. I'd read Gatsby as a kid and again years later, but I'd never gotten to the others and the idea hit me at the right time.


Do you think you’d live long in a zombie apocalypse?

I grew up with a kid who kept a go bag. He wasn't allowed to have caffeine and he carried a massive knife. I might not do great in a zombie apocalypse, but I know who to go to for a fighting chance.


Are you a toilet paper over or under kind of person?

Over. Good lord.


What is under your bed?

 A stack of notebooks. I have notes for a couple novels going in various stages, along with a ton of short story concepts that aren't so fleshed out.


What’s the weirdest thing you’ve given/received as a gift?

A friend I grew up with passed  a dollar bill back and forth with me for years. On holidays, birthdays, sometimes just because. We'd hide it in other gifts. Inside the sleeve of a mix cd or taped to the bottom of a lamp, that sort of thing. We'd write notes on it, so it was covered with scribbling.


Are you a book hoarder or a book unhauler?

I have books saved that went through a house fire. Their covers are soot stained black and they absolutely stink, but I kept every one. Letting go of books is like letting go of memories. Eventually it's bound happen on its own, but we're not there yet.

 



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




The Mountain Is Burning Down is a set of shorts all taking place on the same mountain during a wildfire. Some are grit noir, some are fables, one might be a children's story if you squint just right.

Grab a copy here: 

 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CLT894DV


No comments:

Post a Comment