Tuesday, December 26, 2023

The 40 But 10 Interview Series: Nikki Dudley

 


I had decided to retire the literary Would You Rather series, but didn't want to stop interviews on the site all together. Instead, I've pulled together 40ish questions - some bookish, some silly - and have asked authors to limit themselves to answering only 10 of them. That way, it keeps the interviews fresh and connectable for all of us!


Today, we are joiend by Nikki Dudley. Nikki is managing editor of streetcake magazine and also runs the streetcake writing prize. Her pamphlet 'I'd better let you go' and collection 'Fanny B. Mine' are out with Beir Bua Press. She has forthcoming work with Hem Press. She is the winner of the Virginia Prize 2020 and her second novel, Volta was published in May 2021. Her website is: nikkidudleywriter.com





Why do you write?

I write because it helps me process things and explore interesting ideas. When I don’t write, lots of ideas float around in my mind and I have such an urge to get them down on paper! I love the freedom writing gives me to explore strange ideas, emotions, relationships and more.


What do you do when you’re not writing?

I look after my kids, play netball, watch films, read a lot of poetry and some fiction, go for walks, spend time with my partner, and eat nice food!


What’s your kryptonite as a writer?

Research! I’ve definitely gotten better at it now but I think it was lacking from my earlier work. Now, I try to write the novel, then go back and address the gaps in my knowledge by asking people. I’m less afraid to show people my writing now and I think it gets stronger when you show trusted people your writing and ask for feedback/help. Often, you have friends who have amazing knowledge you can tap into.


What’s the best money you’ve ever spent as a writer?

Definitely feedback and workshops. When another writer presents tasks, it can lead to new ideas and perspectives. Feedback is also invaluable – they catch errors, point out inconsistencies and sometimes, they can even cement your own ideas if you disagree with them! Studying creative writing at university was also money well spent for me because it gave me better confidence and exposed me to new ideas I never would have discovered on my own.


Describe your book in three words.

Misleading. Exploratory. Psychological.

 

If you could cast your characters in a movie, which actors would play them and why?

Oh, I did this on Twitter before! I would definitely cast Florence Pugh as Briony, who is accused of committing a crime she can’t remember. I think she would be amazing in that role. For SJ, the lawyer asked to defend her, I think someone like Taron Egerton or Daniel Kaluuya would be perfect for the duality of this character. As for Mari, it would have to be someone like Morfydd Clark or Gal Gadot maybe – someone who could be really warm, firm and also play a bit of suspicion.


If you could spend the day with another author, who would you choose and why?

I would love to meet Charles Yu. He’s written some of the strangest and most interesting stories and novels. I’d love to chat through his brilliant ideas and ask him how he works through them to make them into his final pieces.


What are some of your favorite books and/or authors?

I love Ruth Dugdall for her thrillers. One of my favourite books of all time is Catch-22 for the absurdity. I love The Great Gatsby for its tragedy. I love Attachments for its humour and hope. I also really love translated fiction, usually Japanese books, that always go in weird directions I never envisioned, such as Haruki Murakami’s books, Strangers by Taichi Yamada and I’m a big fan of Yoko Ogawa. Lastly, I love odd books like Andrey Kurkov’s Death and the Penguin.


What’s the single best line you’ve ever read?

This isn’t the best I’ve ever read but I love a first line that pulls you in. So, I’m going to say one of the best lines for that is Charles Yu’s first line of How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe:

When it happens, this is what happens: I shoot myself.


Do you think you’d live long in a zombie apocalypse?

I would probably die immediately because I’d try to help someone and I’d get bitten! Or I would use my hardy skills from growing up with 3 brothers and manage to stay alive for a while, climb my way to safety and search out other humans to keep me company.  

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


When Briony Campbell confesses to killing her boyfriend, a straightforward crime soon turns into a baffling mystery.

Haunted by demons from his past, lawyer S.J. Robin is assigned to the case. But as confusion - and the body count - rises, he's forced to question who is guilty and who is innocent.

Can he see justice served and hold on to the woman he loves?


buy a copy here

No comments:

Post a Comment