Monday, September 18, 2023

The 40 But 10 Interview Series: Sandell Morse

 


I had decided to retire the literary Would You Rather series, but didn't want to stop interviews on the site all together. Instead, I've pulled together 40ish questions - some bookish, some silly - and have asked authors to limit themselves to answering only 10 of them. That way, it keeps the interviews fresh and connectable for all of us!


Today we are joined by Sandell Morse, the prize-winning author of the memoir, The Spiral Shell, A French Village Reveals Its Secrets of Jewish Resistance in World War II (Schaffner Press, April 2020, paperback April 2022). The Spiral Shell is a Silver Medal winner in the Story Circle Women’s Book Awards, 2020, memoir, and a finalist for the New Hampshire Literary Award, 2021, nonfiction. Morse’s essays have been noted in The Best American Essays series and published in Creative Nonfiction, Ploughshares, the New England Review, Fourth Genre ASCENT, Solstice, and Tiferet among others. She has won the Michael Steinberg essay prize, been nominated for Best of the Net and for two Pushcart Prizes. Morse has been a Tennessee Williams Scholar at the Sewanee Writers’ Conference, an Associate Artist at the Atlantic Center for the Arts, a resident at the Hewnoaks Artists’ Colony, and a Fellow at the Virginia Center for the Creative Arts in Amherst, Virginia and in Auvillar, France. She holds degrees from Wilson College, the University of New Hampshire, and Dartmouth College. Morse lives in New Hampshire with Zeus, her Standard Poodle.

 Website: sandellmorse.com    |  Instagram; @sandellmorse   |  Facebook: @sandellmorse





Why do you write?

Writing is so much a part of me now, that without it don’t feel centered. When I was very young, I was a dancer, and I thought that would be my career. Being a writer is like being a dancer, an artist, an athlete; you fall down into a place where you become one with that thing and the rest of the world peels away. And when writing takes me to that place, I am integrated, and all of me is pursuing -what I love, knowledge, understanding, compassion, justice.

 

What made you start writing?

I love that question because I entered by what I call the back door. I’d never dreamed of becoming a writer. I was middle-aged, back in school, pursuing a Master’s Degree when I stepped into what I thought was a literature class and saw a large oval table with chairs. I looked at Ishmael Reed, the instructor, and said, “Is this literature?” He said, “No, it’s fiction writing.” I said, “Oh, I don’t write fiction.” He said, “How do you know?” I said, “I guess I don’t.” He said, “Sit down.” I sat down, I became a fiction writer, and now write nonfiction, memoir.

 

What do you do when you’re not writing?

Am I ever not writing? That’s kind of flip, but I walk a lot with Zeus, my Standard Poodle, and because walking is a moving meditation, I find I’m writing in my head without intending to. The same thing happens when I hike. Not when I ski. Writing is not in my head when I ski. I love to watch films, especially documentaries. And I read. Can’t write without reading.

 

If you could spend the day with another author, who would you choose and why?

I’d love to spend a day with Melissa Febos. Seems strange. She’s in her early forties; I’m in my early eighties. She’s a queer woman; I’m a straight woman who has lived a mostly conventional life, but when I read her work, I feel as if she’s talking to me. She writes beautifully and fearlessly. She’s brilliant. She brings interesting source material into her work. Many of her insights are ah ha moments for me. I imagine a path through woods, a meandering stream, the two of us walking, and me listening.

 

What are you currently reading?

I’m reading Best American Essays edited by friend and writer, Alexander Chee. I’m about half way through, and I haven’t found once essay that I haven’t savored. This is an extraordinary collection. I’m also listening to South to America: A Journey Below the Mason- Dixon to Understand the Soul of a Nation by Imani Perry. It w-on the National Book Award for nonfiction; Melissa Febos was one of the judges, and on Twitter she recommended the book. I generally read what she recommends. If you think you’ve read everything you need to about race in American, and you haven’t read South to America, give it a read or a listen.

 

What genres won’t you read?

I won’t read horror. Too scary. I generally don’t choose science fiction, speculative fiction, or fantasy, but recently, I read Burning Girls by Veronica Schanoes, which is both speculative fiction and fantasy, and I loved it.  

 

If you could time travel, would you go back to the past or forward into the future?

 Definitely back to the past. It is through the past that we understand the present and the future, and if I went back there, I’d learn and understand so much about who we are today.

 

Do you DNF books?

Yes. Sometimes, because I mean to get back to them and don’t. Sometimes because I don’t like the writing or the characters?

 

What scares you the most?

The pursuit of power at any cost.

 

Are you a book hoarder or a book unhauler?

Well, in 2020, I moved from a large house with plenty of room for bookshelves to a tiny condo, I was forced to unhaul. I miss some of my old books. I’ve bought some again. I’m buying new books, mostly by friends. I love books, so at heart I’m a hoarder with the ability to unhaul.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



In this haunting memoir that reflects on the Holocaust and its legacy, award-winning author Sandell Morse discovers stories of bravery and resistance enacted during WWII in a small town in southern France. In the course of six years, she painstakingly pieces together the puzzle that had been beguiling her over the years: what was the story of France’s Jews under the Vichy government during the Second World War?

 

Inspired by her dogged curiosity and determination to uncover the truth, she met with survivors and historians to seek deeper meaning and understanding of what had happened to France’s Jews and found herself embarked, not only on an historical journey, but on a spiritual journey that marked a return to her own Jewish heritage.

 By gradually gaining the trust of those she interviews, Sandell reconstructs incidents of extraordinary courage in resisting the Vichy regime and Nazi occupation.

 From the survivors’ harrowing tales of escape, ingenious subterfuge, and just plain luck, she learns of a nunnery that gave refuge to a Jewish boy in the village of Auvillar, of a safe-house for Jewish refugee girls in Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne; a rabbi and resistance worker who gave his life to save hundreds of Jewish children; a local gendarme who, endangering his own life, tipped off the director of the safe house to upcoming Nazi roundups.

 In this year that marks the 80th anniversary of the deportation of thousands of French Jews to Auschwitz, this memoir reflects on a crucial time in our world’s history that still reverberates today, and provides a moving tribute to those who resisted oppression and fascism.


buy a copy: 

https://sandellmorse.com/the-spiral-shell/

No comments:

Post a Comment