Monday, August 28, 2023

The 40 But 10 Interview Series: Kirstyn Petras

 


I had decided to retire the literary Would You Rather series, but didn't want to stop interviews on the site all together. Instead, I've pulled together 40ish questions - some bookish, some silly - and have asked authors to limit themselves to answering only 10 of them. That way, it keeps the interviews fresh and connectable for all of us!


We are joined today by Kirstyn Petras. Kirstyn is a Brooklyn-based fiction writer but primarily identifies as caffeine in a human suit held together by hair spray and sheer force of will. She has been published in Punk NoirHoosier NoirAlien Buddha Press, City Lights Theatre Company, and A Thin Slice of Anxiety. Her debut novel, The Next Witness, was released in May 2022 by Cinnabar Moth Publishing. When not writing, she trains contortion and aerial hoop. She is also the co-host of Dark Waters, a literary podcast exploring all that is dark, dreary, and wonderfully twisted. You can find her on Twitter and check out her work on her linktr.ee





Why do you write?

Because it’s impossible not to. It’s not a question of write or not write, it’s always, since I was a kid, been a question of writing what. I was always scribbling in notebooks when I was younger, starting to write stories and abandoning them halfway through. There have always been ideas brewing in the back of my mind, waiting for me to put pen to paper and let them loose.

 

What do you do when you’re not writing?

I don’t do well sitting still, so I’m constantly working on different things. I train aerial hoop and contortion, bake and experiment with new recipes, read new thrillers/horrors, and work on my podcast Dark Waters (a literary podcast focusing on dark fiction), among other things.

 

What’s your kryptonite as a writer?

I’m not very diligent in my writing. I don’t sit down to write every day. If I have an idea of where the story is going to go next, that’s when I’ll start to go, and then I can crank out a few thousand words at a time. Otherwise? The document may sit untouched for quite a while. I really need that moment of inspiration to get started. I’ve talked to so many authors that really are able to wake up and write every day at a specific time or have daily word count goals that they’re able to meet, and I really admire that.

 

Describe your book poorly.


In the words of a dear friend who offered this suggestion when I was struggling with cover letters; “Read it because it’s bloody and shit.”

 

If you met your characters in real life, what would you say to them?

Well, I don’t think Melody would have any desire to talk to me. Derek would probably half-heartedly through a punch at me, to which I’d just kind of shrug and say “Listen, everyone warned you.” Covington…..I think I’d bypass any of his concerns and make sure Jordan was getting some semblance of therapy.

 

What are some of your favorite books and/or authors?

Authors would be Don DeLillo, Chuck Palahniuk, and Joe Hill - for books I’d add The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides, City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert, Sadie by Courtney Summers, and After the Lights Go Out by John Vercher.

 

What are you currently reading?


I’m always reading multiple books at a time, right now it’s The Pallbearers Club by Paul Tremblay and Dreamland by Rosa Rankin-Gee.

 

What’s the single best line you’ve ever read?

There are so many, but I’ll try to limit it to these 3. “Resist change at your own peril,” and, “at some point in a woman’s life, she just gets tired of being ashamed all the time. After that, she is free to become whoever she truly is,” are two of my favorite quotes from City of Girls. But I also have to give a lot of credit to a piece of dialogue in Island by Aldous Huxley. It’s too long to put it all here, so readers should definitely look it up in full but it starts:
“It’s dark because you are trying too hard. Lightly child, lightly. Learn to do everything lightly…Lightly, lightly – it’s the best advice ever given me.”

 

Which literary invention do you wish was real and why?


The babel fish. I know google headphones are getting close, but. I would really like a babel fish.

 

What are your bookish pet peeves?


When a character orders “a whiskey” or “a scotch” says something like, “Give me a beer,” at a bar. As a former bartender this really bugs me - what beer? What whiskey? There’s no way a bartender just knows what to give you, without at least a follow-up of “House whiskey okay?” or something similar. It’s one of those smaller aspects that I know doesn’t bother everyone but really pulls me out of the scene.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Alexander Covington is hunting a traitor: Melody Karsh, a missing girl accused of treason, a Party member who has forsaken her country. But, letters are appearing in mailboxes, being slipped beneath doors, and in the pockets of passersby. “Free Melody” is being spray painted on walls. Her image – cold, shivering, pathetic – has captured the public’s attention and sympathy.

Melody has no idea that her name is being used to start a movement, not until the executions of those demanding her freedom start airing on television.

Derek Lin would feel sympathy, if he didn’t blame Melody for the deaths of those who have disappeared without a trace, caught up in the investigation to find her.

Melody must choose to join the fight or stand aside. Derek will become a leader or break under the pressure. Alexander will decide how many bodies must fall to save his own life.


buy a copy here

https://cinnabarmoth.com/the-next-witness-kirstyn-petras/

No comments:

Post a Comment