Monday, June 19, 2023

The 40 But 10 Interview Series: Kimberly Oclon

 


I had decided to retire the literary Would You Rather series, but didn't want to stop interviews on the site all together. Instead, I've pulled together 40ish questions - some bookish, some silly - and have asked authors to limit themselves to answering only 10 of them. That way, it keeps the interviews fresh and connectable for all of us!


Joining us today is Kimberly Oclon. With a BA in screenwriting and MFA in Fiction, Kim taught high school for six years before becoming a mom to the best girl and boy in the world. While teaching, she was fortunate to teach creative writing and film classes in addition to trudging through the classics. She also co-founded the school's first gender-sexualities alliance. Kim is a member of SCBWI and lives in East Dundee, IL with her husband and two kids. MAN UP is her first novel. Her second novel, THE WAR ON ALL FRONTS, was published in May, 2022.




What’s your kryptonite as a writer?

 As much as this would be another writer’s dream, my kryptonite is a whole day to myself to write. Having too much time makes me feel if I don’t use every minute, then I’m wasting time. I know this makes no sense at all. The Pomodoro Technique works best for me. I wrote my first book about 20-30 minutes at a time. It all adds up!

 

What’s the best money you’ve ever spent as a writer?

 The best money I’ve ever spent was the tuition to take Story Studio’s Novel in a Year class led by author James Klise in January 2018. I spent a year with eleven other incredible writers who have become friends. About nine if us still meet monthly to continue the habits and community we built during our time together. THE WAR ON ALL FRONTS wouldn’t be the book it is without those writers and our amazing teacher.

 

Would you and your main character(s) get along?

 I think so. Anthony and I could bond over our Italian-American families, their traditions, habits, and food. My dad would love to hang out with Anthony because they have similar taste in music. I’d love to have Sam for a friend. He understands the need for solid friendships.

 

What are some of your favorite books and/or authors?

 My favorite book (and subconscious inspiration for THE WAR ON ALL FRONTS) is THE THINGS THEY CARRIED by Tim O’Brien. I unwillingly read it for an independent novel unit in high school, volunteering to read it when no one else did because I loved my creative writing teacher. It was the first time I read something and knew I was reading something good and special.

 My favorite authors include Bill Konigsberg and David Levithan, both very successful in the young adult world. I tell everyone about David Levithan’s TWO BOYS KISSING because the point of view blew me away. The story is told from the perspective of a Greek chorus of gay men who died during the AIDS epidemic and features their observations of present day queer youth.

 

What is your favorite book from childhood?

 I loved THE BABYSITTERS CLUB and SWEET VALLEY TWINS. I still have #1-60 and the special editions in my parents’ basement. Kristy Thomas was my favorite character.

 

      What’s on your literary bucket list?

 I’d love for one of my books to be part of a high school summer reading list or book club selection. I’d also love to be invited to participate on panels at book festivals and literary events.

 

If you were on death row, what would your last meal be?

 Not sure about the meal as a whole, but it would definitely involve peanut butter and chocolate ice cream from Baskin Robbins. If possible, I’d request an extra hearty peanut butter ribbon going through it.

 

What songs would be on the soundtrack of your life?

 Lots of Frank Turner selections. He’s a musician from London. “Get Better,” “Be More Kind,” “Punches,” “Haven’t Been Doing So Well,” and probably “Why” from TICK TICK BOOM. That song wrecked me when I watched the movie for the first time.

 

What’s the one thing you wish you knew when you were younger?

 There’s a quote from BENJAMIN BUTTON where the main character talks about life having no clear rules or timeline and it’s never too late (or too early) to start again and try something new. I thought I had to have everything figured out soon after college graduation (whatever that means) but there’s time to try to new things, learn new things, and begin again.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



It seemed as though Anthony and Sam had just found each other, and now they were already being torn apart. Sam to college in Wisconsin; Anthony across the world fighting in the Vietnam War. Through their separate journeys, they discover themselves, and rely on the one way to share their secret together. Corresponding with secret messages, scary truths, and fears about the war, readers will follow Anthony and Sam's path to friendship, love, and survival.


buy a copy here: 

https://www.indiebound.org/book/9781736347409

No comments:

Post a Comment