Monday, February 20, 2023

The 40 But 10 Interview Series: Farzana Doctor



As you know, I had retired the literary Would You Rather interview series, but didn't want to stop interviews on the site all together. Instead, I've pulled together 40ish questions - some bookish, some silly - and have asked authors to limit themselves to answering only 10 of them. That way, it keeps the interviews fresh and connectable for all of us!


Joining us today is Farzana Doctor, Farzana is an award-winning writer, activist, and psychotherapist. She is the author of four novels: Stealing Nasreen (2007), Six Metres of Pavement (2011), All Inclusive (2015), and Seven (2020) and a poetry collection, You Still Look The Same (2022). She is the maasi behind Dear Maasi, a new sex and relationships advice column for FGM/C survivors. 






What made you start writing?

I’ve been writing since I was a child—mostly poems and plays (which I performed for my patient family). I once saw a psychic who said that artistic expression was my ‘soul’s purpose’ and, well, that fits.

 

What do you do when you’re not writing?

A bunch of things, but here are a few:

-my afternoons are for my part-time psychotherapy practice where I see individuals and couples.

-recently, on Wednesday evenings, I’ve started volunteering with the Etobicoke Humane Society, where I help out with the dogs in the shelter.

-I’m also an activist and do a little work for WeSpeakOut, the End FGM Canada Network, and Sahiyo.

-I work out most days (with the stellar folks at YMCA Online).


If you could have a superpower, what would it be?

The power to persuade the ultra-rich to give their money away to build housing, create green solutions, pay people fairly and fund education and health care!

I’d also love to be able to teleport so I could visit my far-flung family more often.

 

How do you celebrate when you finish writing a new book?

This is something I need to focus on more. Celebrating doesn’t come easily because there often isn’t a clear end point. When you finish writing, there’s editing, then submitting, then more editing, then getting ready for the release, then touring and promoting the book.

Just recently, I passed the six-month mark since You Still Look The Same’s release, and I took a week to do absolutely nothing, and that felt like a beautiful reward and celebration.

 

Describe your book in three words.

Mid-life tragicomic poetry.

 

Describe your book poorly.

Farzana wrote a bunch of poems in her forties when frankly, she was a bit of a mess. She had a big break-up, then she online dated for the first time in her life (oh boy, that was a ride), then a bunch of old traumas came calling and kicked her ass. Then she fell in love again. For people who hate poetry, this is pretty accessible stuff.


What genres won’t you read?

I don’t watch or read horror or really violent work only because my scaredy-cat nervous system can’t handle it.

 

Do you read the reviews of your books or do you stay far far away from them, and why?

I read reviews that come out in news media, literary journals and social media. Nearly all of them have been smart and kind. I share/re-post them for self-promotion and to express my gratitude to the reviewers (who often don’t get paid at all or enough).


What is under your bed?

The only thing under my bed is my deceased dog’s bed. She used to like sleeping under me, and it gives my grieving heart comfort to leave it there. For anyone who might like to see a photo of her, check out #MaggieWithBooks


Are you a book hoarder or a book unhauler?

My partner built a Little Library in front of our house, and I so I unhaul on a regular basis. I live in a small space and I like to share books! That being said, I do tend to hold on to my favourites.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



A moving collection of poetry about navigating mid-life, full of humour and wit, from acclaimed novelist Farzana Doctor

This debut poetry collection from acclaimed novelist Farzana Doctor is both an intimate deep dive and a humorous glance at the tumultuous decade of her forties. Through crisp and vivid language, Doctor explores mid-life breakups and dating, female genital cutting, imprints of racism and misogyny, and the oddness of sex and love, and urges us to take a second look at the ways in which human relationships are never what we expect them to be. An audiobook is also available.


Buy a copy of the book here: 

https://freehand-books.com/product/you-still-look-the-same/#tab-description

https://www.amazon.com/Still-Look-Same-Farzana-Doctor-ebook/dp/B09Q3MJZLL?ref_=ast_sto_dp


No comments:

Post a Comment