Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Dianne C. Braley's Would You Rather

Bored with the same old fashioned author interviews you see all around the blogosphere? Well, this series is a fun, new, literary spin on the ole Would You Rather game. Get to know the authors we love to read in ways no other interviewer has. I've asked them to pick sides against the same 20ish odd bookish scenarios....








WOULD YOU RATHER

Dianne C. Braley



Would you rather write an entire book with your feet or with your tongue?

Oh my, I’m going with feet.

  

Would you rather have one giant bestseller or a long string of moderate sellers?

This is so hard! I think the giant bestseller. I want a motion picture deal, lol.

 

Would you rather be a well-known author now or be considered a literary genius after you’re dead?

Now! Who cares when you’re dead?

 

 Would you rather write a book without using conjunctions or have every sentence of your book begin with one?

Every sentence begin with one. I don’t think it would be a good book, but I don’t know what I’d do without them.

 

Would you rather have every word of your favorite novel tattooed on your skin or always playing as an audio in the background for the rest of your life?

I would love background music for my life and feel like I should have that anyway.

 

Would you rather write a book you truly believe in and have no one read it or write a crappy book that comprises everything you believe in and have it become an overnight success?

This is tricky. I could set the bar low if I wanted, and am willing to up to a point! Ha! But if it went against my core values and beliefs, I couldn’t do it.

 

 Would you rather write a plot twist you hated or write a character you hated?

I think writing hateful characters is fun and helps a writer learn more about themselves. I’ve already done this, and shockingly the character I began to hate was inspired by a younger version of me. It might be time to call my therapist again.

  

Would you rather use your skin as paper or your blood as ink?

I’ll try some weird blood as ink writing—sure.

 

Would you rather become a character in your novel or have your characters escape the page and reenact the novel in real life?

Become a character. I like introspection and writing about myself. I’m sort of self-involved.

 

Would you rather write without using punctuation and capitalization or without using words that contained the letter E?

I think we as writers don’t give readers enough credit. Books nowadays don’t use quotations often in dialogue, and I don’t find it difficult to read at all. I’m going without using punctuation or caps.

 

Would you rather have schools teach your book or ban your book?

Ban!

 

Would you rather be forced to listen to Ayn Rand bloviate for an hour or be hit on by an angry Dylan Thomas?

I like being yelled at for motivation I wanted to join the military when I was young for that reason, so Dylan Thomas it is.

   

Would you rather be reduced to speaking only in haiku or be capable of only writing in haiku?

Ugh. Neither, but I’ll go with speaking. People wouldn’t want to talk to me, and I could write in peace.

  

Would you rather be stuck on an island with only the 50 Shades series or a series in a language you couldn’t read?

This is tough!!! I guess I’ll have to go with the 50 shades only because I’d be lonely, and I could try to rework the writing and some scenes in my head.

   

Would you rather critics rip your book apart publicly or never talk about it at all?

These are so hard! Rip it apart. That way, people might be intrigued enough to buy it.

 

Would you rather have everything you think automatically appear on your Twitter feed or have a voice in your head narrate your every move?

Voices in my head narrate my every move anyway, so that’s easy. It’s my voice, but it’s relentless.

 

 Would you rather give up your computer or pens and paper?

Pens & paper. I pretty much already have forcefully, but now I’m used to it.

 

 Would you rather write an entire novel standing on your tippy-toes or laying down flat on your back?

Laying down. Being supine is a rarity in my life, so I wouldn’t mind.

 

Would you rather read naked in front of a packed room or have no one show up to your reading?

Naked. I don’t care anymore. At a certain point, it is what it is. It might interest people enough to buy more books.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


A raw, gritty New Englander, Dianne C. Braley found love for the written word early on, reading and creating stories while trying to escape hers, growing up in the turbulent world of alcoholism. After putting her pencil down for a time, she became a registered nurse finding strength and calm in caring for those who couldn't care for themselves. While living in Martha’s Vineyard years ago, Braley cared for ailing Pulitzer prize-winning novelist of Sophie's Choice, William Styron. He and his books helped her realize she missed crafting stories, and she had some of her own to tell. The Silence in the Sound, Dianne's debut novel, just released on August 23rd 2022.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment