Thursday, September 5, 2013

Joshua Mohr Takes it to the Toilet


Oh yes! We are absolutely running a series on bathroom reading! So long as it's taking place behind the closed  (or open, if that's the way you swing) bathroom door, we want to know what it is. It can be a book, the back of the shampoo bottle, the newspaper, or Twitter on your cell phone - whatever helps you pass the time...

Today, author Joshua Mohr takes it to the toilet. Joshua is the author of some of my favorite fiction and he's no certainly no stranger to TNBBC. Go on and read his stuff if you haven't already: Some Things That Meant the World to Me, Termite Parade, Damascus, and Fight Song. And now, let's see what he's reading:





I don’t normally read in the bathroom.  I save my dawdling time to wander around the Mission District talking to myself.  Novelists do that, meander and chat with invisible friends or pets or intergalactic sycophants.  Some people call that schizophrenia, but me, that’s just what I do.

I made an exception to my typical bathroom-efficiency for Sean Doyle’s “The Day Walt Disney Died,” a funny little ‘zine about adolescence and accidentally smoking angel dust.  Sean has that inimitable tangle of voice and subject matter.  He’s lived hard and he’s not afraid to share these stories with the rest of us, and we’re all the better for them.

I’m waiting for someone to collect Sean’s essays and publish the whole glorious and madcap and smart and shameless shebang for us to devour in one collection.  It’s overdue.  In fact, if you don’t believe me, pick up “The Day Walt Disney Died” and you’ll see what I’m talking about.  Then stalk your favorite publisher and say, “Isn’t it high time the word got out about this cat Sean Doyle?”


So next time you’re looking for ways to kill some me-time on the throne, I highly recommend cracking this acerbic ditty.  Doyle has brazenness on the page, but more importantly, he’s got heart.  Put those two together and you can do anything you want.  

No comments:

Post a Comment