Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Where Writers Write: Robin Lamont


Welcome to another installment of TNBBC's Where Writers Write!

Where Writers Write is a weekly series that will feature a different author every Wednesday as they showcase their writing spaces using short form essay, photos, and/or video. As a lover of books and all of the hard work that goes into creating them, I thought it would be fun to see where the authors roll up their sleeves and make the magic happen. 




This is Robin Lamont. She is the author of Wright for America, published in October - a biting political satire and a fiercely funny detective story. 

You may also know Robin Lamont as the voice behind the hit song ‘Day by Day’ from the Broadway show and motion picture Godspell.  Lamont was not only an original cast member, she was one of the creators of the show. Her voice was a beacon for a new generation of theatergoers, and fans continue to follow her. 





Where Robin Lamont Writes


There are two different places where I write.  When I’m crafting a storyline or constructing a scene or a character, I tend to stare into space a lot.  When weather permits, I’ll do that outside on our deck, which sits high on a wooded hilltop.  It feels like being in a tree-house.  You’d think it would be distracting to be in a such a beautiful place, but the leaves, sky and clouds create a repetitive rhythm that’s as soothing as being rocked in a boat.  I need peace when I’m thinking big picture.  

If it’s too windy or cold or rainy, which is a great deal of the time in the northeast, I work at my desk in what used to be the dining room of our house.  Although my desk is cluttered with necessary writing tools – a cup of coffee, thesaurus, a dictionary, my reading glasses, and Kleenex – I keep the wall in front of me bare.  I feel that pictures or photos hung on the wall where I can see them will color my ideas and limit my thinking.  


Once the outline is developed and I’m working on individual scenes, I feel as though I can let more of the world in.  To get going each morning, I’ll re-read what I’ve written the day before.  For me, it’s sort of like getting an old car rolling downhill so you can jumpstart the engine.  Then as I get going, I stay connected to my computer because I will toggle back and forth to other documents where I’ve kept my outline or notes, or I need to look something up quickly on the internet – like, how much does a good size pig weigh?    


Next week, Lynn Melnick shows off her writing space.

No comments:

Post a Comment