Wednesday, December 22, 2010

What I'm Reading: Droid Style!

I love my sexy new Droid 2. I dressed it up in a hot little red case and have spent hours upon hours playing with it. (trust me. It's not quite as dirty as it sounds.)

What am I playing with? Well, not games, that's for sure! I am not going to get sucked into all of these time-swallowing, brain-numbing apps like this "angry birds" thing I've been hearing so much about... No way, no how! I have much more important things to be doing...

Like understanding how to move my apps from the app page to my home page and which apps to get, viewing and taking photos, text messaging (kinda strange format on this thing, almost looks like a comment thread. It's going to take me some time to get used to it as it doesn't seem to differentiate between inbox and sent), and downloading free classics through the Kindle app.

While at my oldest son's first wrestling meet tonight, waiting for the last few kids to finish up, I whipped out the phone and managed to store three eBooks on the Droid -
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Grimm's Fairy Tales
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
I haven't actually attempted to read them yet, however I can see it is going to be very much like reading off of the iView eReader - of which I have spent zero time with since I got my hands on this amazing little smartphone - but with a whole lot less words per page! One thing I noticed right off the bat... there are no page numbers. I am a freak about checking my progress so I am not sure how that will work for me. But, I don't ever have to worry about being caught without a book to read ever again!

I'm also loving the fact that I can keep up with my Twitter feed throughout the course of the day, so every free minute I get, I tap open the Tweetdeck app and scroll through to see what's happening out there. If I have time, I even drop a tweet or two myself.

It's wonderful being able to access the internet wherever I am, no matter what I am doing. I love how it's all like "touch me" and "flick me" and "turn me around" - so tactile and instantly gratifying (again, not nearly as dirty as it sounds!).

How did I ever live without one of these things? And what other sweet little secrets is it hiding from me? What do you love most about your smartphone? What apps are must-haves?

1 comment:

  1. Smart devices scare me a bit. I have been thinking about getting one, but haven't got past the thinking part. The Ipad 2 becomes more tempting. Still not convinced. Please let me know about the reading experience.

    ReplyDelete